Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Kinley's Birth Story - Part 2

**Warning some of these pictures are graphic**

If you missed part one of the story you can check it out here.

By this time my contractions are coming about 7-10 minutes apart. We got all checked into our delivery room. I had the best nurse EVER! Seriously, Nurse Laura was incredible and you could tell she really loved her job. I mean, come on, she was working on her birthday.

At 11:04am they started a pitocin drip (the thing I was most scared of). My nurse assured me we would start slow, and then crank it up after I had my epidural. So I was started at 1/10 of a regular dose. My nurse told me to let her know when I was ready for the epidural. At the rate I was going, I didn't think I was going to need one. Honestly, I felt great and I told her as long as I keep getting a break in between these contractions, I'll be good.

Then the meds kicked...

During all of this I had the urge to push, which was crazy... in my head it hadn't been long enough, plus I didn't have an epidural. So the nurse checked me and said I wasn't ready yet. They let me out of the hospital bed to go to the bathroom. Of course, this is exactly when my doctor came to check on me and break my water. She said she was going to grab lunch and would come back afterwards.

My mom, dad, and Emily were all at the hospital by this point and had brought in lunch for Joel. So he left the room to go eat Cane's, I couldn't stand the smell of it! My mom stayed with me.

My contractions were getting stronger and stronger, so I told my nurse I was ready for the epidural.

At this point it was around 1:30pm and Breanne was finally able to leave her school. She told me I had to wait until she got there to have Kinley. I had "keep that baby in there".

She got to the hospital at about 2:15. Joel decided this would be a good time for him to get his shower. (Side note- His plan along had been to wait until I had my epidural and my sister there with me. Then he would get in the shower and be nice and clean when Kinley got here. I knew this was a bad idea... let's just call it mother's instinct.)

So while Joel is getting ready for his shower, I ask my nurse to help me roll over a little bit, I was getting uncomfortable. We had been waiting to do this until my doctor broke my water, but I couldn't wait any longer. She did and then she left the room. As soon as she walked out the door I looked at my mom and said "I have to push". My mom said really. I said if I don't something bad is going to happen. So Emily ran out the door to get the nurse who was only a few feet down the hall. Breanne started knocking at the bathroom door telling Joel not to get in the shower. (Good thing that water took awhile to heat up).

I just laughed... of course, as soon as he got in the shower I would need to push.

The nurse didn't even bother to check me. She just told me to keep my legs closed and called my doctor. When a mom knows, a mom knows!

Several nurses came in and started prepping the room.

I told the nurse I don't knkow how much longer I can hold this, my doctor needs to get here now.

As soon as she walked in the door, she checked me and I was at a 10.She broke my water and told me with the next contraction to push. After 3 pushes baby was almost here... my doctor said keep going don't wait for another contraction (keep this in mind later). So I did and boom... Kinley was here! 2:48pm

My sisters were in the room, so both of them got to experience her birth. Everyone, and I mean everyone, looked at both of them and said that is the easiest birth you will ever see. Everything went picture perfect!

After holding Kinley for a few minutes, they took her and got her all cleaned up.

She was 7 pounds 4.8 ounces and 19.5 inches long. And baby girl had a good set of lungs.

Shortly after, everyone left the room and I was able to have skin on skin time.

I was so in love with our sweet girl. She was perfect in every way. God is so good!

Daddy was so in love too!

Remember up above when I said my last push was without a contraction, well... (Keep in mind, NO ONE told me this until late that night, so I had no clue) The umbilical cord was wrapped around Kinley's neck. Once her head was out the doctor could tell the cord was there. One reason, she was completely purple, second reason, they had lost her heart rate. I thought they lost her heart rate because she was practically out of me. Nope! So when the doctor saw this she just told me to keep pushing. Joel said she handled it like a pro and just slipped her hand up the side of Kinley's face and unwrapped it.

God's hand was in all the details. We give him all the praise for our wonderful baby girl and pray that she will grow to follow and love Him.

Thank you all for your prayers and support! A very very special thanks to Bre who took all the photos and captured Kinley's birth for us!!

Again, if you missed part one you can read it here.