Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Kinley's Birth Story - Part 1

It's taken me awhile to get around to writing this, but better late than never...

Originally, I scheduled an induction for my due date March 18. I took Monday and Tuesday off work and I was going to enjoy myself and get a few things done before she came. However, I wanted to go into labor on my own. I was so anxious about being induced because of what happened to my mom when she was induced. (Let's just say in was traumatic and leave it at that.)

Anyway, so I called my doctor on Monday and ask to move the induction to Friday, March 20. I was set on that date. That is my half birthday and I thought that would be fun if we had each others half birthdays. It's also my father-in-law's birthday. I really admire moms that go past their due dates and wait for baby to come on their own.

Oh how my plans fail... but that's ok, God's plans are so much better!

Wednesday morning (let me remind you that's my due date), I woke up at 2:20am to a contraction. I got up and went to the bathroom and didn't think anything of it. I'd been having contractions for a few days (real contractions not braxton hicks). So I went back to bed and just about the time I started falling back asleep, I had another one. So I looked at the clock, it had been exactly 20 minutes. So now I was curious if this was it. Sure enough, I had another 19 minutes later. I decided I need to get some sleep if this really was labor. ha! Just about the time I would fall asleep I would have another contractions. They were anywhere from 16-20 minutes apart.

At about 5:30am, after about 2.5 hours of 'laboring' I decided to tell Joel. He was stirring in the bed, so I thought he was waking up. I said 'babe, I've been having contraction consistently for the last 2.5 hours'. He just looked at me and said 'you've got to be kidding me, it's your due date'. Basically, neither of us could sleep anymore, so we packed the rest of our hospital bag.

Fast forward to 8am. I went to the bathroom again and there was blood, lots of blood. I immediately called my doctor. She suggested that I come into labor and delivery and have them check me out, just to make sure the baby was ok. She said she would call ahead and let them know I was coming. If I hadn't bled, I wouldn't have gone to the hospital until my contractions were 5 minute apart.

At this point, I called my family and told them what was going on. My sister Emily came over to take care of Landry and get him to school for us. Interesting how kids can sense that something is wrong without you having to tell them. We left in such a rush we didn't kiss Landry goodbye. So while we're on our way to the hospital Emily facetimed us. Landry was crying because he knew something was wrong with mommy. He was so worried about us that he wouldn't go to school until he had seen us. We assured him everything was ok.

Traffic was terrible! I wouldn't expect less at 8ish in the morning in Dallas. At this point I was so thankful my contractions weren't 5 minutes apart... I might have had Kinley in the car.

When we arrived at the hospital we walked up to labor and delivery. (Side note- Joel wanted to wheel me up there, I insisted on walking... I had to keep those contractions coming!) They took us to a little admitting room. A nurse came in and hooked me up to a monitor and I could hear Kinley's heartbeat. MUSIC TO MY EARS! She proceed to ask lots of questions before examining me. I was dilated to a 3. (TMI- while she was checking me she told me she stirred things around to hopefully help get me going)

After talking with my doctor they decided to go ahead and admit me. I was having Kinley that day! Joel and I just laughed and said I'm 2 for 2. All day long anytime anyone would come to check on me they had to ask how far along I was and when my due date was and every time we said today people were surprised.

We were admitted to the hospital. Now the real fun could begin! Read part two here.